Joseph P. Hawranek, Ph.D. a27
Vertical Legacy – FMA – Founding Member Affiliate
Vertical Rising – Founding Member
jpfinancialeducation.com – Educational blog
joehawranek.com – Personal blog
jpvr.verticalrising.com – Educational blog
joehawranek.verticalrising.com – Personal Blog
“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil. God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act”. Dietrich Bonhoeffer
“Patriotism means standing by your country. It does not mean standing by your President or any other public official.” Teddy Roosevelt
“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty.” Thomas Jefferson
The Taliban Terrorists
The Bergdahl incident piqued my interest because the internet is full of articles on swift boaters, desertion, terrorists while asking the question as to whether Bergdahl was a hero or a deserter. One of the questions I asked myself was – why Bergdahl? Upon consideration, I concluded that it was a diversionary cover for Benghazi. A standard practice of this White House is to introduce another incident to draw press attention away from a current scandal. This time I investigated the actions of Bergdahl and wondered about “Why Him?” One of the possibilities is that this might be a means to release the five worst prisoners in Guantanamo. It struck me that Obama is now working for a historical track record to keep his campaign promises – regardless of the security impact to this nation. Everything is political with this man. These prisoners were really bad guys. They were so bad that to release them without reason would not have been possible. Therefore, create a reason. Why not tell the Congress about the pending trade? Simply, the Congress would not agree and would publish news of the pending release to the press. Thus, complete secrecy and surprise was required. Consequently, the US releases five evil terrorist leaders for a deserter in secret so that the worst Guantanamo detainees could be removed leaving 136 remaining but much lower ranking guys than were let go. Upon
the release of the remaining detainees, Guantanamo can be closed over the next two years. Of course, the US had to sacrifice one of its basic American principles – “Never negotiate with the enemy” – which has been in place since Jefferson. This principle has now been broken. Recall that marines went in to Tripoli to combat pirates. They do their hymn – “to the shores of Tripoli”. This was based upon Jefferson refusing to bargain with pirates even though all of Europe was doing so. He refused to pay tribute where others did.
Closer Look at Guantanamo Men Released – Are they Enemies?
Here they are again. See the positions they held when captured. Remember that each man probably cost the US dead or wounded in action. They did not give up easily. They were captured. Now they are released to go back to their units.
Khair Ulla Said Wali Khairkhwa – - – was an early member of the Taliban in 1994 and was Interior Minister during the Taliban’s rule. He was arrested in Pakistan and was transferred to Guantanamo in May 2002. During questioning, Khairkhwa denied all knowledge of extremist activities.
Mullah Mohammad Fazl – - – commanded the main force fighting the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance in 2001, and served as chief of army staff under the Taliban regime. Fazl was detained after surrendering to Abdul Rashid Dostam, the leader of Afghanistan’s Uzbek community, in November 2001. He was transferred into U.S. custody in December 2001 and was one of the first arrivals at Guantanamo, where he was assessed as having high intelligence value
Mullah Norullah Noori – - – -served as governor of Balkh province in the Taliban regime and played some role in coordinating the fight against the Northern Alliance. Like Fazl, Noori was detained after surrendering to Dostam, the Uzbek leader, in 2001
Abdul Haq Wasiq – - -was the deputy chief of the Taliban regime’s intelligence service. Wasiq claimed, according to an administrative review, that he was arrested while trying to help the United States locate senior Taliban figures. He denied any links to militant groups.
Mohammad Nabi Omari – - -was a minor Taliban official in Khost Province and was the Taliban’s chief of communications and helped al Qaeda members escape from Afghanistan to Pakistan. He also said that he had worked with a U.S. operative named Mark to try to track down Taliban leader Mullah Omar
In brief summary, we have –
- Khair Ulla Said Wali Khairkhwa – - – Interior Minister of the Taliban
- Mullah Mohammad Fazl – - – Commander of the main force fighting the U.S.-backed Northern Alliance in 2001,
- Mullah Norullah Noori – - – -Governor of Balkh province in the Taliban regime
- Abdul Haq Wasiq – - – Deputy Chief of the Taliban regime’s Intelligence Service.
- Mohammad Nabi Omari – - -Taliban’s Chief of Communications
These are the leaders of the Taliban that we gave back to them. Now let us review some fundamental definitions used by our government – from Wikipedia.
- Enemy combatant is a term historically referring to members of the armed forces of the state with which another state is at war. Prior to 2008, the definition was: “Any person in an armed conflict who could be properly detained under the Laws and customs of war.”
- Enemy Combatant – In the US the phrase “enemy combatant” was used after the September 11 attacks by G.W. Bush to include an alleged member of al Queda or the Taliban as part of the War on terror.
- War on Terror – this term was first used by US President G.W. Bush on 20 September 2001. The Bush administration and the western media have since used the term to argue a global military, political, lawful, and conceptual struggle against both organizations designated as terrorist in nature and regimes accused of supporting them. It was used with a focus on Muslim countries associated with Islamic terrorism organizations, like al-Qaeda or like-minded organizations – Taliban.
- Cost of War on Terrorism – The $ 5 Trillion War on Terror says that this war has cost us dearly –
- War in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan costs $3.7 trillion. Cost of borrowing with banks is $1.0 trillion for a total of $4.7 trillion.
- $16,000 per American
- $64,000 per family of four
- Death Toll
- Civilians – 225,000 (extremely conservative)
- Military – US – 6,000 plus 2,500 contractors that if true says that the US government figures of 4,300 dead are lies. It is twice their figure.
- Wounded – Costs of War
- Civilian – 365,000 (extremely conservative)
- Military – US official total is 52,010 “wounded in action”. It does not include those with heat stroke, suicide, crashes.
- 970,000 Veterans Benefits claims registered with VA
- War in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan costs $3.7 trillion. Cost of borrowing with banks is $1.0 trillion for a total of $4.7 trillion.
- Spoils of War
- Nation Building
- Saddam Hussein was a Sunni dictator that we removed and was replaced by Maliki, a Shiite dictator;
- We are now supporting the 10,000 ISIS in Iraq, Sunni who are Sunni (1/3 Syrian, 1/3 Iraq and 1/3 other countries);
- These are the ones cutting off heads and performing mass killings.
- Iraq has the world’s 2nd largest country oil reserves
- 200 plus billion barrels low cost to produce oil;
- Central feature of political environment;
- Western oil companies are in Kurdistan provinces;
- China is in oil production in the rest of Iraq.
- Iraq has the world’s 2nd largest country oil reserves
- Nation Building
- Civil Religious War – Current war in Iraq
- In Iraq, there are two major Muslim religious groups – Sunni and Shiite;
- The ISIS is a subset of the Sunni Muslims;
- Currently at war are the Sunni ISIS vs the Iraq Shiite who control the government. Since Obama ran guns to ISIS in Syria from Benghazi, it appears as if he favors the ISIS;
- By population – Shiite are the majority in Iraq as in Saudi Arabia – the Kings are Sunni and the people are Shiite. It is a kingship / dictatorship;
- If Sunnis win, it is possible that Western oil will come back. This is the possible reason that Obama seems to favor the Sunni while at the same time outwardly supporting the Shiite Iraq government;
- If Shiites win, it is most likely that the Chinese will get the Iraqi oil.
Now, if one reviews all of the above, one is instantly struck with the following –
- The American people have been suckered by the large oil companies and our government
- The oil companies win the spoils and the people pay the price for the next 50 years as we pay off the war debt;
- The Taliban and the Al Queda are official enemies of the US government and the US people;
- The 5 released Taliban are the leadership of the Taliban who are our official enemies.
- There is a major question of whether Bowe Bergdahl is a deserter and possible traitor and thus should be shot not rewarded.
- The President of the US, Obama, used omissions, lies and positional power to release critical enemy leadership back to the Taliban with the open question as to whether these men will come back and kill more Americans.
What is Treason?
The Constitution of this nation is very clear on what is treason in Article III, Section 3 as
“Treason against the United States shall consist in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.”
What is your judgment?
- Are the Taliban the enemies of the US? Answer: Yes
- Are these men Taliban? Answer: Yes
- By giving them back to the Taliban / Al Queda / ISIS groups – are we giving our enemies Aid and Comfort? Answer: Yes
- When we officially help the Shiite government of Iraq by sending in 300 advisors, are we officially taking a position of supporting the Iraqi government and the Shiites? Answer: Yes
- When we give back the leadership to the groups (ISIS) that are fighting the Iraqi government, are we helping our enemies? Answer: Yes
Does this mean that Obama as President should be brought up on charges of Treason?
Do not make a final judgment on that question until you read the rest of this.
No Man Left Behind
The standing issue is Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl. Did he abandon his post? Yes. Is that an act of a traitor? This is to be determined. Did his abandonment of his post and disappearance cause other soldiers into harm’s way? Yes. Did they get killed for this reason? It remains to be proven. Now let’s review the practice of never leaving a man behind in combat.
The US military has the ethos, “no man left behind.” The origin of this concept is thought to come from the French and Indian War of 1756, two decades before the United States declared independence from the British. During this war a group of American soldiers known as Roger’s Rangers, who were fighting for the British against the French, became known for maintaining a certain standard: leave no soldier behind. Thus, even before America was America, this ethos was instilled. The idea represents a familial bond between soldiers. In a sense it’s a service contract: If you promise to serve us, we promise never to leave you. The fulfillment of this promise, while not perfect, can be seen in incidents such as the one portrayed in Black Hawk Down, in which massive operations were undertaken to rescue hostages. However, is this a contract that should be honored when the soldier deserts? This is what is at issue here. On May 31, Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was exchanged for five Taliban captives. There is a lot of controversy surrounding this. Let us examine why.
What is an American hero? What is a hero? A hero refers to characters who in the face of danger display physical or moral courage and the will for self-sacrifice for some good for all humanity. What does this mean in real life? Let us look at just two examples. Sgt. Alvin York, WWI recipient of the Medal of Honor and Audie Murphy, WWII recipient of the Medal of Honor. Then, we will examine Bowe Bergdahl’s action under fire.
Below is the actual citation. Read the citation and see what ordinary Americans do when they feel that their comrades in arms are threatened.
After the Platoon had suffered heavy casualties and 3 other non commissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machine gun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat, the machine gun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.
Audie Murphy won more medals than any GI in history. During a single 3-day period, he won 2 Silver Stars. Again, below is the actual citation. Read the citation and see what ordinary Americans do when they feel that their comrades in arms are threatened.
January 26, 1945, Audie Murphy engaged a German infantry company to save lives within his own company—actions for which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.
In his book WAR, Sebastian Junger wrote:
“Most firefights go by so fast that acts of bravery or cowardice are more or less spontaneous. Soldiers might live the rest of their lives regretting a decision that they don’t even remember making; they might receive a medal for doing something that was over before they knew they were doing it. When Congressional Medal of Honor recipient Audie Murphy was asked why he took on an entire company of German infantry by himself, he replied famously, ‘They were killing my friends’.” Wars are won or lost because of the aggregate effect of thousands of decisions like that during firefights that often last only minutes or seconds.
The decisions Murphy continued to make within those minutes and seconds are the reason he became the most-decorated soldier of WWII.
“He received every medal the Army awards,” recalled HON. Ralph M. Hall, when he addressed the House of Representatives and paid tribute to Murphy. “He earned the Silver Star twice in 3 days, three Purple Hearts, the Distinguished Service Cross, and the Medal of Honor.”
From Murphy’s Medal of Honor Citation:
“2d Lt. Murphy commanded Company B, which was attacked by 6 tanks and waves of infantry. 2d Lt. Murphy ordered his men to withdraw to prepared positions in a woods, while he remained forward at his command post and continued to give fire directions to the artillery by telephone. Behind him, to his right, 1 of our tank destroyers received a direct hit and began to burn. Its crew withdrew to the woods. 2d Lt. Murphy continued to direct artillery fire which killed large numbers of the advancing enemy infantry. With the enemy tanks abreast of his position, 2d Lt. Murphy climbed on the burning tank destroyer, which was in danger of blowing up at any moment, and employed its .50 caliber machinegun against the enemy. He was alone and exposed to German fire from 3 sides, but his deadly fire killed dozens of Germans and caused their infantry attack to waver. The enemy tanks, losing infantry support, began to fall back. For an hour the Germans tried every available weapon to eliminate 2d Lt. Murphy, but he continued to hold his position and wiped out a squad which was trying to creep up unnoticed on his right flank. Germans reached as close as 10 yards, only to be mowed down by his fire. He received a leg wound, but ignored it and continued the single-handed fight until his ammunition was exhausted. He then made his way to his company, refused medical attention, and organized the company in a counterattack which forced the Germans to withdraw. His directing of artillery fire wiped out many of the enemy; he killed or wounded about 50. 2d Lt. Murphy’s indomitable courage and his refusal to give an inch of ground saved his company from possible encirclement and destruction, and enabled it to hold the woods which had been the enemy’s objective.”
In his book The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944, Rick Atkinson wrote:
“A fifth-grade dropout, he had picked cotton, worked in a filling station, and fixed radios. Until enlisting, he had never been a hundred miles from the four-room shack in Hunt County that housed eleven children. The Army had issued him a uniform six inches too long in the sleeves and tried to make him a cook. In basic training, he balked at buying GI insurance because ‘I don’t intend to get killed any way and it costs pretty high’.”
Bill Mauldin wrote:
“In him we all recognized the straight raw stuff, uncut and fiery as the day it left the still. Nobody wanted to be in his shoes, but nobody wanted to be unlike him, either.”
These are what heroes are made of – selfless actions in the face of danger because “They were killing my friends”.
Now let us examine the performance of Bowe Bergdahl.
Bowe Bergdahl Facts
The Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl trade for 5 terrorist leaders was recently introduced by Obama and surprised our Congress – but why were they surprised?
- Congress is supposed to be warned 30 days in advance of any such action. They were not. This is the law. It was ignored.
- We traded 5 Taliban terrorist leaders hand chosen by the terrorists for Bergdahl, himself an apparent Muslim. These were the terrorist leaders not just terrorists – the generals if you will. They are now heroes among the terrorists in the Arab world;
- It is being reported that Bergdahl spoke Arabic with his parents at home. This raises a question – is he Muslim in his beliefs?;
- Several veterans of the firefight action report that on June 30, 2009, in Afghanistan Paktika province, where he was deployed with the 1st Battalion, 501st Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Division, he deserted his post. These veterans call him a deserter who walked off his post.
- An Army official fact-finding investigation conducted in the months after his disappearance concluded the he:
- Left his outpost deliberately and of his own free will;
- There was no official finding of desertion by the Army since they could not determine his “intent”.
- The facts are:
- Berghdahl left his post while on duty in an active military zone thereby putting the rest of his platoon at risk of being killed;
- Berghdahl put members of his platoon in mortal danger because one flank of their position was exposed and not protected. It is reported that he just put down his gun and walked away. By my definition, this is desertion under combat conditions. However, the Army holds that “intent” must be determined;
- Subsequent to Bergdahl abandoning his post:
- The unit and other units were kept on station for months longer than planned because they were dispatched to hunt for Bergdahl;
- It has been reported that upwards of 6 Americans were killed while searching for Bergdahl during this period because of the American military’s unwritten policy of “no man left behind”. These men were definitely killed in action. The question remains open as to whether they were killed because they were hunting for Bergdahl (“no man left behind”) or because they were exposed to fire for months beyond their normal stay on station. The Army has not as yet stated their position in any official announcement that I can find;
According to our government, Bergdahl has been kept in Germany and now Texas by the US government to “recuperate”.
- This keeps him from reporters;
- This keeps him from handling hard questions from the men who he put in danger;
- The government needs the time to de-brief him so that he does not say things that embarrass their position.
- On Friday, 13 June 2014, Bergdahl returned to the states in Texas and is still being de-briefed. He has yet to see his parents.
In my opinion, it appears as if tactically Obama is currently in need of a political “diversionary tactic”. His administration is under attack on multiple fronts and needed “time” for the public to forget is his best tactic. To get that time, I believe that he has to introduce another public diversion. I believe that he thought that he would get praise for
getting Bergdahl back. However, he must have known that it was controversial because he hid it from everyone. He did not ask his DOD advisors nor Congress what they thought. It backfired because men who were there and whose lives were endangered started talking and heaven forbid – started telling the truth. This administration who unilaterally legislates from the White House on any issue they choose does not like the truth. In fact, they detest it as evidenced by all the other scandals where they cover the facts.
Talking about what really happened in contrast to what the government is saying did happen is “Swiftboating” a term that was coined by another liar in government, Senator Kerry who is now Secretary of State. The press ignores the “Swiftboaters” but the people
in America do not. Those of us who served do not. The military works because of trust and love of your comrades in arms. Those in battle know that they can lose their lives but also know that those in uniform surrounding them would give their lives to protect you. To have one of your fellow soldiers betray you as Bergdahl did makes you angry because not only did he break military law of “not leaving your post” but also he betrayed the ones that remained on post. Further, he endangered their lives.
John Kerry’s Senate testimony was a lie but he did testify. See what he said according to Guenter Lewy, writing in “America in Vietnam.”
“John Kerry’s lies about the activities of the Swift boats were part of a larger pattern of deception. As a leader of the Vietnam Veterans Against the War (VVAW), Kerry testified before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations on April 22, 1971, telling the Senators and a national audience that American troops “…had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Ghengis Khan, shot cattle and dogs for fun, poisoned food stocks, and generally ravaged the countryside of South Vietnam…” and accused the U.S. military of committing war crimes “on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command.”
After Bergdahl’s desertion, he could never be completely trusted by his fellow soldiers again. Furthermore, no one would want to serve with him because their lives could be at risk. To make a “hero” of him by the President is a body blow to the military, its traditions and the people who have lost their lives in serving this nation. Further, it shows a complete disregard of the Presidential role of “Commander in Chief” that has been the tradition of this nation for over 200 years.
Obama has several White House directed operations that have turned into scandals for this nation because the nation has lost treasure and American lives in each incident. Among these are:
- Fast and furious gun running – 1 border agent and countless Mexicans killed;
- Benghazi gun running – 4 American lives and guns put into the hands of the ISIS in Syria;
- Lois Lerner IRS attack on TEA party patriots – basic American freedoms attacked;
- Berghdahl desertion and the Presidential cover-up – It is possible that subsequently 6 men were lost on patrols looking for him.
- Lois Lerner lost IRS records – her drive and six other employee drives concurrently went out with the same data. This is impossible so they are lying.
Government Cover-Up Procedures
The government’s standard operating procedure in cover-ups is to:
- Divert attention;
- Deny access;
- Reassign personnel;
- Fire personnel;
- Use plausible deniability profusely;
- In addition, destroy evidence but deny the fact
As I have pointed out in other articles, all of these techniques were used in the above situations.
I spent 40 years in Information Technology and became a principle Consultant for a large computing firm. In fact, you use some of the products that I helped bring to market. The
Lois Lerner loss of emails because they were on her personal computer is nonsense. They were still on the master server and I feel certain that there were daily backups. The furtherance of the lie by saying the 6 of her aids also lost their drives is NONSENSE in big letters. Seven people do not lose their drives at the same time and lose the same data concurrently. The probability of this occurring is zero – unless a 911 incident occurred. These are blatant lies; however, this fact must be proven in an independent counsel investigation. I believe one is overdue.
Note the Lerner case brings a timely diversion from the Bergdahl “Swiftboating”. To me it appears as if the government used Bergdahl to divert attention from Benghazi and the Fast and Furious gun running to the enemy and Lerner to divert attention from the Bergdahl fiasco. However, this time they are caught in another lie. Lerner lost her emails in June, 2011. The IRS has a Sonasoft email backup contractor that was dropped on September 8, 2011. I find it highly suspicious that the service was dropped 3 days before September 11, 2011. Nonetheless, the emails exist and are retrievable. On the other hand, you should now expect another incident to divert attention from Lerner – and the cycle goes on.
The Press and American Heroes
The original Swiftboaters were men who served with Kerry and said openly that he did not earn his medals and that he lied about his exploits. However, he went on to become a Senator and Secretary of State. This shows how bad our political system has become. Money talks!
As a cover for Kerry, the “establishment” trotted out John McCain, who never served with Kerry, but he called the Swiftboat Veterans for Truth “dishonest and dishonorable.” I use the term “establishment” because I believe the CFR chooses leaders of both parties to do their bidding. I believe that his statement goes a long way in dishonoring McCain himself. These men did not lie. They were the men in harm’s way. He lies and is dishonest.
Bob Dole – A True Hero
On the other hand, a true WWII infantryman hero is Bob Dole. He lost the full use of one arm in battle. In battle, Bob Dole won two Bronze Stars for “Heroism under Fire”. He was in action from the age of 19. His company was known as the “Suicide Squad”. He had this to say about Kerry’s testimony to Congress about how our military acted in combat:
“One day (Kerry’s) saying that we were shooting civilians, cutting off their ears, cutting off their heads, throwing away his medals or his ribbons. The next day he’s standing there, ‘I want to be president because I’m a Vietnam veteran.’ Maybe he should apologize to all the other 2.5 million veterans who served. He wasn’t the only one in Vietnam.”
I have already provided you the exact quote Kerry made to the Senate. I am a Vietnam vet and even today when I read Kerry’s original testimony given to Congress, it makes me angry. His statements were blatant lies and were disputed by soldiers in the field that were on those missions.
Why Did Soldiers Delay in Blowing the Whistle?
The reason these soldiers did not say anything until Bergdahl’s release was that, as a condition of leaving Afghanistan, it is being reported that they were required to sign gag orders prohibiting them from discussing Bergdahl. The Wall Street Journal announced today 13 June 2014 that the Supreme Court on Thursday made a ruling that no government employee has to lie about happenings in government to keep their jobs. The truth overrides bureaucratic “suggestions” to the contrary.
After the news release and the ceremony in the Rose Garden – the soldiers decided those non-disclosure agreements were broken by our government’s betrayal of this nation’s fundamental principles and they spoke the truth as they witnessed. Do you sense a general feeling of disgust and revolt that says, “Enough is enough”, I do. In addition, frankly, I am happy about it.
Wall Street Journal – Meet Obama’s Kissenger
The Wall Street Journal introduced to the public who is advising the president. Tom Vieter is on the National Security Council – the highest Security Council this nation has. The political advisers are Tom Vieter and Ben Rhodes. When one looks at the Obama
political advisory team in the White House, one is shocked by seeing their ages and upon investigation their lack of experience. Tom Vieter became Obama’s representative to the National Security Council and has written many of their releases over the last few years. His previous experience was that he was a van driver during Obama’s campaign for Senate. This is not training for the critical position on the National Security Council as Representative for the President of the United States of America. Any man in the Presidency of the US can get the best advisors in the country by simply asking.
No one knew the truth about Bergdahl until his fellow soldiers spoke up. When the truth did come out from soldiers who were there on the field of battle, his hometown canceled a homecoming celebration because of the allegations and accusations coming from his platoon. Further the press started calling them derogatorily “swiftboaters”. Remember, the Bergdahl accusers were his fellow soldiers and members of his unit in Afghanistan.
Bowe Bergdahl Roommate – “Court Martial Him for Desertion”
His fellow soldiers are becoming very vocal. Bergdahl’s former roommate, Spc Cody Full, in testimony before Congress found here says:
“Bowe Bergdahl needs to be charged with desertion… countless people looked for him when he was missing… putting their own lives on the line.”
Further testimony at the same hearing included Mike Waltz, a former Army Special Forces commander in Afghanistan who testified that the search for Bergdahl allowed the Taliban to lure soldiers into traps.
“My men were lured into ambushes, including an Afghan home rigged with explosives, a car bomb that was primed to explode, and other types of deadly traps,” Waltz said. All of my men, me included, were absolutely furious and resentful, frankly, that a fellow American soldier had put us into this position.” [Emphasis added]
Obama and the Law
Obama’s decision to openly flout the law is not news; he has done it many times. He
apparently feels that he is above the law and can do anything that he feels is in his best interest. I point out that in my opinion, I say “his” and not the “nation’s”. However, this time he is negotiating with a terrorist organization that is the stated enemy of the American people.
U.S. Army Lt. Col. Allen West said,
“Once again Obama used selective discretion as to what law he feels he must adhere to — in this case it has severe ramifications for our national security.”
As West further noted,
“There are some 141 detainees at GITMO…the five released were senior Taliban officials, basically members of Mullah Omar’s inner circle. If we wanted to release detainees in exchange for Bergdahl, there were many others from which to choose. Why these?”
I conclude that it is clear Obama’s interest in exchanging the detainees did not have to do with the importance of one deserting soldier’s well-being… but rather appeasing a terrorist organization who thinks nothing of American sovereignty and possibly emptying Guantanamo of its worst offenders.
Military as a Social Experiment
The military has had to accede to many changes over the last 20 years of liberal leadership in our Congress who forced their ideas of social change on a military organization as if they were a social experiment. Is this another? Never forget, the purpose of a military is “to protect and to kill”. The Congress and military has forced social experiments upon the military. If you instill these experiments as norms on the units, you will deteriorate their mission purpose. Why did this happen? It turns out few if any Congressmen have served in the military. They have no knowledge and no experience. As far as I am concerned, this experience should be mandatory to run for office. Remember, the President puts men in harm’s way where they can lose their lives. As least Congressmen and the Executive should understand what that means when they give these orders.
When attacked, the establishment trots out John McCain. As an aside, it took $30 million for McCain to win this last primary election in Arizona. I wonder, why? I also wonder where it came from. Most of these social reforms are irritants to the troops in spite of the fact that the military leadership accepted them or was forced to accept them. The list is long. However, it does not contain positive things for the enlisted men only negative things.
These men put their lives on the line for this nation. The Congress is so politically divided that they do not get together on things that they could probably agree upon. For instance, positive things that the Congress should offer but do not are:
- A functioning VA system for injured and retired military;
- Free tuition and books for any that served over n years;
- Improved base housing;
- Better and more commissaries not less and worse:
- Better death benefits if they die in battle;
- Increase in pensions;
- Enough PTSD therapists at the VA to get an appointment in 2 weeks.
For those that say we cannot afford to do these things, I again say “nonsense.” This nation spent $5 trillion on Afghanistan and Iraq, we lost 8,500 KIA, 52,000 wounded, and we killed about 225,000 to 1 million Iraqi military and civilians.
What cause did any of them on either side die for? There are only two answers – Oil or Freedom. If your answer is oil, we lost. China is now the principle oil company in Iraq. China got the spoils. This administration is now considering entering conflicts in Ukraine, Syria and Iraq. This is also nonsense. These are Civil war conflicts and have nothing to with the security of this nation. Security of this nation should be the primary objective.
If your answer was Freedom, we lost. We replaced Saddam (a Sunni) with Maliki (a Shiite) both dictators and now we are supporting ISIS (Sunni) to knock Maliki (Shiite) out of office. These are tribal religious wars very similar to the Iroquois vs. the Comanche. The world understands our stupidity – - – America does not. They laugh at us as we force America taxpayers into financial serfdom to pay off these debts and the financiers laugh all the way to the bank to pick up the interest on the loans to the US. Meanwhile, the taxpayer go into debt slavery to pay these debts.
I have spoken bluntly but I believe it represents others’ opinions. If I am wrong – speak up. If I am right – follow through and get involved. We need to throw “leadership” from both parties out of office this fall.
My conclusions are simple:
- The Army has already established that Bergdahl deserted his Post and he should be treated with a Court Martial in order to determine his intent. If the Court Martial rules him guilty of desertion under fire, he should be shot;
- The 5 Taliban terrorists released will come back to attack the US and we will incur further losses of people and resources. However, most of this will happen after Obama is out of office:
- President Obama needs to be investigated by an Independent Council for one issue – Did he commit Treason? In supporting the enemies of the United States
- Mexican Drug cartel – Fast and Furious drug running;
- ISIS terrorists in Syria – Benghazi running;
- ISIS terrorist in Iraq – Release of Taliban terrorist leaders from Guantanamo?
- It appears to me that the Bergdahl incident was inserted as a diversionary tactic to get the press focused on something other than gun running at Benghazi and Fast and Furious;
- Congress needs to cooperate on one thing, help the troops. The military should be rewarded with positive benefits not tethered with social experiments that are enforced by Congressmen who never have or will put their lives in harm’s way;
- Lois Lerner is a diversionary tactic to remove pressure from the Bergdahl release. The lost data is nonsense. If it is determined that the lost data was intentionally destroyed, then she and those complicit should be prosecuted for doing so;
- Congress needs to reward the military with positive rewards not negative social experiments.
- The government has been lying to the American people on the Cost of the War on Terror. The Lies on deaths, wounded, and total dollars need to be divulged. The real numbers will get the American people to end it immediately.
What Would George Washington and John Marshal Do in this Situation?
As a final note, George Washington when in campaign in the field had deserters in his army. His orders were clear, catch them, have a quick court martial, and then put them in front of a firing squad that night in front of his troops. That is how discipline was maintained. John Marshall was at his side throughout the campaign, including Valley Forge, and was his Inspector General throughout the campaigns. As such, as IG, he was the head of the court martial court. The source of this information is a book that John Marshall wrote, The Life of George Washington.
John Marshall was a Supreme Court justice when he published the book. It was subsequently put into every school house in America for teaching history along with the Bible for teaching ethics and religion as the primary medium of teaching the youth of America for many years. For your information, the Bible was put there by the very first act of Congress and Ben Franklin was commissioned to get the 30,000 bibles printed which he did in London. This is how generations after Washington learned how this religious American legend led his men to an impossible victory over superior forces during the Revolution. There is a strong precedent. Our President ignores the history of this proud nation. I and many others do not.
Oops! No results, try changing your search!